Wolf Hall

Oh, Hilary Mantel, why? We should have been the best of friends. I love Henry VIII and so do you; I love reading about him and you love writing about him, so again I ask why?! From the moment I read the dust jacket I was in love, this book had everything! A story about Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn told from the perspective of the King's adviser Thomas Cromwell,  yes please! But there was a catch, while Thomas had enough personality to keep me going Henry and Anne did not. I barely made it half way through this book. How in the world were you able to make revenge, divorce and death so boring?!

This book got rave reviews and Hilary Mantel satisfied hundreds of readers, it just wasn't what I was hoping for. For those of you who might not know, Henry VIII divorced his wife Katherine before divorcing was an option, married Anne Boleyn (after sleeping with her sister Mary) and then he cut off Anne's head because she was a "witch" who wouldn't give him a son. Henry then goes on to marry six more times and beheads his second wife. Sounds pretty exciting huh? Well usually it is.

 I am a seasoned reader and this book was difficult, confusing and boring all at the same time. It jumps back and forth between what's going on with the King and what is going on with the banished Cardinal Wolsey; then half the time I couldn't figure out who was actually talking or where Thomas Cromwell even was. I also didn't realize until a few days ago that it isn't until the sequel to this book "Bring Up The Bodies" that Anne dies, which means the first book is mainly about Henry and Katherine's divorce. This also means that we don't get any of the fun revenge, witchcraft and beheading until book two... But in all fairness even if I had known this I probably would've bought this book. Sadly though this book will end up being sold back to Powells and I will have to go in search of something else. Better luck next time I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts