Lost Boy by Christina Henry



                     "All children grow up, or they die, or both. All children, except one."
                                                                    - Lost Boy

            Well before Wendy, John and Michael, there was Jaime. Jaime was the first, the only real special boy in the group of lost boys and he was Peter Pan's best friend. They swam with the mermaids, killed pirates and brought over lost boys from the real world to join their gang. Sometimes those boys died, sometimes they lived, and sometimes they grew up, but Jaime and Peter always stayed the same. At least they stayed the same for many, many decades. After 100 years or so (we never know for sure) Jaime starts to see Peter for what he really is and everything changes.

                  "Was this, too, part of growing up? Was it facing the bad things you'd done as well as the good, and knowing all your mistakes had consequences? Peter made mistakes all the time, he was thoughtless; he hurt people. But it never troubled him, not for a moment. He forgot all about it in an instant. That was being a boy. I wasn't a boy anymore."

               Lost Boy is Jaime's story, and it was everything that I hoped it would be. If you enjoy the story of Peter Pan, or were just curious about where Hook came from, this story is worth checking out. It's a dark, gripping fairy tale that's impossible to put down. I will never be able to think of Hook or Peter Pan the same way again.

               "Once I was young, and young forever and always, until I wasn't. Once I loved a boy called Peter Pan. Peter will tell you that this story isn't the truth, but Peter lies. I loved him, we all loved him, but he lies, for Peter always wants to be that shining sun that we all revolve around. He'll do anything to be that sun. Peter will say I'm a villain, that I wronged him, that I never was his friend. But I told you already. Peter lies."
                

Comments

Popular Posts