Deerskin by Robin McKinley

Every now and then a book comes along that significantly changes you, sometimes it's for the better and sometimes not, but either way a part of you, no matter how small, isn't ever quite the same again. I first encountered this book right after my Dad passed away and it has become a staple of my library ever since. Now maybe it was because I was going through such dark times that a dark fairy tale had such a profound and lasting effect on me but I have yet to find a book quite like this. It became a friend and a comfort many times in the 15 years since I first picked it up.

The main character's name is Princess Lissar and her story begins with a different kind of fairy tale. The kind where Lissar's mother was the most beautiful woman in the seven kingdoms and her father completed an almost impossible task to wed her. But even her parents fairy tale doesn't have a happy ending and it's at the end of that tale that Lissar's really begins.
This story (despite the fact that I read it so young) is not meant for children, there is incest, blood and betrayal that follows Lissar from page to page making this a very adult fairy tale. The rest of the book is about Lissar and her dog Ash, it's a story of extreme recovery and bravery.

It is because of Ash that my love of dogs really got pushed over the edge, Ash is described as only a dog lover can describe him. He is the reason that the evolution of wolves and people became so intertwined.

I know that this book isn't for everyone, parts of it are extremely slow going, the writing style can be tricky to get into and the story itself can be brutal and tough to read but it is a beautiful story that any lover of fairy tales should try. There has never been a book that has so thoroughly worked its way into my soul and forever carved a spot for itself in my heart. Robin McKinley taught me that sometimes the best friend that a person can have is a good book, and sometimes the perfect book is just what we need to keep propelling ourselves forward.

Comments

Popular Posts